10.15.2010

Weekend getaways: Philadelphia

As I prepare for an upcoming weekend getaway in Maine, I thought it was time for another installment on the blog.

In June, my boyfriend and I took a quick trip down to Philadelphia. Not surprisingly, he thought of planning the trip because there was a Comic Con in Philadelphia that weekend, but it doesn’t bother me, because I’m not all that picky as to the catalyst of our travel plans, as long as there ARE travel plans.

I, of course, have been to Philadelphia before — I’m pretty sure it’s a staple in any child’s life who went to elementary school in New Jersey. You took a trip to Philly to see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall and all that.

Philly's Magic Garden
My love at the
Magic Garden
This trip, we specifically avoided those places and instead chose to wander around the city. We incidentally got a great deal at a very nice hotel in what we were told was the “posh” part of the city. Unfortunately, we happened to be there on one of the hottest weekends of the summer.

I had done a little bit of research before we left, so we had a couple of planned stops, including the Mutter Museum at the College of Physicians, which houses all kinds of medical specimens and samples and lots of things floating in jars; and the “Magic Garden,” a building and outdoor space covered in mosaic taken from all manner of “junk” for some, and treasure for others, including tires, bicycles, bottles and other such things.

South Street
Beyond that, we just wandered around exploring the city, mostly walking down South Street. Of course we partook in some Philly cheesesteaks for lunch and simply had a nice time being together.

Weekend getaways don’t need to be anything fancy or elaborately planned. Sometimes all you need is a little change of scenery and some alone time with a person you like having alone time with.

Can’t wait to tell you all about Maine!

No comments:

Post a Comment