8.23.2010

Why I travel

The New York Times is asking readers to show "Why We Travel" by submitting their favorite photos to the site. Below is a sampling of why I travel.


1. The people ... both the locals and those you share the adventures with.

My TopDeck group in Egypt
Egyptian schoolgirls who were very eager to pose for pics.
An Indian family that agreed to pose for a picture in Orcha.
Old and new friends in Copenhagen, Denmark.




Edam cheese in the Netherlands (above)


Paella in Barcelona (below)


2. The food. I find one of the best (and yummiest) ways to truly experience another culture is through the food.
Food market in Barcelona
Interesting chocolate in Brugge, Belgium
Pasta and wine in Florence, Italy
3. And, of course, the sights! I don't care what kind of a traveler it makes me, but when I go to Egypt, I expect to see the pyramids. When I'm in Paris, you better believe I'm going to gander at the Eiffel Tower. And I'm sure as hell seeing the Taj Mahal if I've taken the 17-hour flight from New York to India. I'm all for seeing things "off the beaten path," but I don't think there's anything wrong with seeing a country's, city's or town's famous landscapes. Besides, that's all other people want to hear about when they ask you about what you saw and where you've been. If anything, those sights are great conversation starters to then open up people's perceptions to everything else a place might have to offer that you were fortunate enough to experience as well.




A street in Prague, Czech Republic
Park Guell in Barcelona, Spain
A liquor shop in Denmark 

The Tart with a Cart, Dublin
Sunrise over the Sahara, Egypt
Sugarcane trucks in Egypt
Fancy gardening, Brighton, England
Punts in Cambridge, England
Leeds Castle in England
View from the river in Orcha, India
A pretty park in fall, Minsk, Belarus
Up close with a Nepalese elephant
The Magic Garden in Philly
People bathing in Ganghes
Iconic London
Collosseum in Rome, Italy
Eiffel Tower, Paris, France
Realto Bridge in Venice, Italy

      And those are the reasons why I travel!
      Why do you travel?

No comments:

Post a Comment